Monday, May 28, 2007

Travels, part 4: Bulgaria

My last stop on my whirlwind Europe tour was Bulgaria. I visited friends of my Dad's from high school. Here we are in Plovdiv, a nice Bulgarian town.
The capital, Sofia, isn't very nice. It has a towering, yet crumbling, monument to communism. Beware of falling chunks of monument!
There was one nice church in Sofia. I didn't go in because there was a crazy long line at the time, but it looks cool from the outside.
Much of Bulgaria is pretty run down. Little maintenance has been done since the Berlin wall fell in 1989. The chimney below is typical.
I took a day trip to Rila monestary. My parents took turns carrying me around. Our tourguide got us special backstage access to the monk's quarters.
That's it for my trip. All of this travelling has really worn me out. I'm going to sleep for a week straight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home